A guest post by Marcie of La Bella JewelryLa Bella Joya Jewelry.

Two years agone, I took the plunge and submitted one of my projects to a magazine. At the time, I hadn't made plans to submit it, I simply knew information technology was a unique piece, I liked it, and it turned out relatively piece of cake to make.

Looking back, I am so glad that I decided to send that e-mail and put my work out there!

It opened a whole globe of opportunities that I didn't even know existed for someone creating handmade.

Today, I'd like to give you lot my checklist for creating and submitting work that magazines will desire to publish. These are the steps that I accept before I fifty-fifty call back about submitting to a magazine, whether print or digital. I hope you'll find them useful the next time yous're thinking nearly expanding your audience or taking the leap to putting your work out there.

(And lest you lot think that I've got magazines beating downwards my doors for a hazard at my work, I will tell yous I've run into just as many "no's" along with the "yes's", which is, consequently, how I developed my listing of what to do and what NOT to exercise.)

Okay, allow's get started.

ane. KNOW THE PUBLICATION:

This is #i and the almost important. It seems kind of obvious that a mag like Stringing wouldn't accept an intricate beadwoven cuff, merely I'm talking hither virtually the more subtle differences.

In my ain field, when I recall of Beadwork Magazine, I tend to recollect of more modern takes on beadwoven jewelry with projects that produce great results in less time. Bead and Button Magazine, on the other hand, tends to invite work that takes a piddling longer and is more than elegant and styled.

Sew is a great example of a magazine seeking styles with modern colors and shapes while Belle Armoire, for instance, tends to lean toward the lighter more than romantic designs.

2. KNOW THE THEMES:

Mag editors don't release submission guidelines on their websites considering they're bored with nil to do. Those guidelines are in that location considering the editors have taken the time to come up with themes and trends that they want reflected in upcoming problems. If y'all can create within those trends and themes, you lot'll be right on rail with the editors, and stand a much better chance of getting published.

For case, permit'southward say the theme is Steampunk. Well, at present, it's your task to do some research on Victorian styles or lookout some movies with Steampunk vibes (A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is my favorite) and ask yourself how you can interpret those themes into your mixed media collages or unique scrapbook pages.

3. KNOW THE FORMAT:

Wanna know a secret?

I don't own a subscription to every magazine that I submit to. I can't, I just don't have the dinero right now, but whenever I get a few extra minutes in the Barnes and Noble, I choose to spend it with my nose buried in new publications.

I study how the directions are written and make note of the kinds of materials that are existence used. I pay attention to how the pictures are styled and photographed, and yes, I'll purchase the magazine if it's something that I desire to research further. (If yous really want to keep digging, think nearly buying dorsum issues, they tend to be $1 or $2 cheaper than the current issue)

Also, brand sure that when you submit, stick to the submission guidelines.

If they don't desire snail mail submissions, then don't send them!

iv. KNOW YOUR BOUNDARIES

Despite the possibility of submitting to 6 or 7 jewelry magazines simultaneously, at that place are a couple that I've never submitted to.

Why?

I simply know that my work is not ready for that platform and that I am non set up for that amount of work. Even so, information technology gives me something to shoot for and helps me set goals. For example, Belle Armoire Jewelry is i of my favorite magazines (Information technology'southward unremarkably the one that I buy off the stands) and I'm constantly inspired past the work within. Withal, I know that what I do is not exactly what that magazine is looking for. So, I'll challenge myself to wait at my work from the perspective of a Belle Armoire reader and think….what could I offer that reader?

How tin yous create pieces that are worthy of this publication while nonetheless staying true to your craft?

5. KNOW YOUR WORK:

This ane may be fifty-fifty more important than #ane.

What is unique about your piece that others haven't seen earlier? What do you have to offer to a group of beaders, quilters, weavers, and potters that is already pretty much inundated with new projects?

How are you going to convey that in the one or two photos that you get to send to an editor? (Photos are so of import. Unless otherwise noted, send in at least two, a whole-piece shot, and a particular shot, of the most interesting or unique part of the piece) Exist confident and write with confidence about your slice, and why information technology's unlike and what y'all have to offer, no one knows your work better than you lot

6. KNOW YOUR OPTIONS:

Think exterior the box when looking for publications and enquire yourself if your piece of work tin pull double duty.

It would seem obvious to ship that beautifully glazed ceramic pendant to a jewelry magazine, just is that glazing technique something that the readers of Pottery Illustrated might be interested in?

Is information technology the kind of procedure that could work only as well for potters wanting to heighten their handmade serving pieces?

I promise that I've given you some useful information to consider the side by side time that you're thinking about submitting work to any kind of publication.

You already have the artistic skills to craft works of fine art, at present combine that with a footling research and who knows, peradventure YOU will be the one with editors knocking down your door for a risk at your work!

I'll leave you with a few links to some of the publishers looking for fresh faces.

Be sure to search effectually until you find "submission guidelines" for each publication.

  • Interweave:http://interweave.com/Magazines/
  • Stampington & Visitor: http://stampington.com/
  • Northridge Publishing:http://northridgepublishing.com/index.html

Alright, this is by no means an exhaustive list and I do hope that you'll cheque out at least a few of these links. I want the editors to wonder why they're inboxes are suddenly loaded with astonishing and inspiring pieces from brand new designers! Proficient luck!

Almost Marcie:  Marcie Abney is a self-taught beader whose work and projects have been featured in a diversity of jewelry design publications. You can find her finished pieces and DIY tutorials in her shop or visit her blog for more than information and inspiration.